A few years ago I bought a pair of Enzo Angiolini tall black leather boots on clearance at Nordstrom. They are my go-to boots when I need something dressier than snow or hiking boots yet still weather-proof enough for Michigan cold weather slop. I can wear them with a thick pair of wool socks and still look stylish.
Recently I tried them on and found out I could no longer zip them up over a pair of leggings or jeans – oh oh, must have been all those wasabi ginger potato chips I discovered over the summer. I thought I’d bring them to the shoe repair to see what they could do for them. Then I re-thunk it and decided to just fix them myself with some elastic gussets.
I tried the boots on and decided where and how much I needed to cut out for the gusset. The piece I removed was 1.5″ at the top and extends down the boot 8.5″, narrowing to a point. The boot is leather with a man made lining, and was very easy to cut with my regular scissors. For marking the boot I used a pink Frixion pen. You may see some markings left over on the photos, but the actually washes off from the sealed leather quite nicely.
I bought the elastic from JoAnn’s. The widest black elastic they had was only 3″, so I pieced it to make the gusset fit in the opening. I was lucky that the boot has a horizontal seam that lines up with the top piece (and most visible) seam. I really don’t mind the elastic seams, I don’t think anyone will notice them.
Then I carefully sewed the sandwich, starting just below the horizontal seam, so I could still have the sandwich held together with the clip. I sewed all the way down, then I sewed from the top down to the horizontal seam, meeting up with my previous line of sewing.
I used a leather needle, upholstery thread in the upper w/regular poly thread in the lower, 3.5mm stitch length. My machine is a Pfaff 7570 and it can sew through very thick layers. In a previous life I did a lot of heavy home dec items with it so I had full confidence in sewing through the soft leather. It did not disappoint. When sewing, I had the boot unzipped so I could put the rest of the boot top under the free arm of the machine. I know it sounds awkward to sew boots on a sewing machine, but it really wasn’t.
After sewing each side, I went up to the top edge and re-stitched where I had pulled the layers apart. Done!